Monday, October 1, 2012

31 weeks

It has been awhile since I have posted but one thing bed rest has given me plenty of is time. I am 31 weeks pregnant with twins and I wish I could say it has been an uneventful pregnancy. I found out I was pregnant on March 27, 2012 and after struggling with "unexplained infertility" for six and a half years it was one of the best days of my life! I found out a few weeks later I was pregnant with twins and a couple months later found out we were having a boy and a girl. I thought since I had been through so much to get pregnant that I was certainly entitled to an easy pregnancy but I was blessed to be able to experience every possible symptom. My doctor had told me I would have to go on modified bed rest at 28 weeks so I began working hard at getting things together and organized.

My time of preparation was cut short at 26 weeks. I woke up for work, had my usual dry-heaving spell, took a shower, and after putting my contacts in realized blood was all over the floor. I spent 3 days in the hospital as they worked to get my contractions under control. I had an ultrasound while I was there where they determined I had a low placenta and vasa previa (which occurs 1 in 2500 pregnancies). Although I am able to sum up my experience in 3 short sentences it was very scary and one event I was hoping to not have happen again. However last Saturday the same scenario began this time at night while Joel was at work. I drove myself to the hospital and tried to stay calm but that lasted for a whole 30 seconds. My doctor let me go home Sunday but I was back to the hospital on Tuesday with the same problems. I had another ultrasound while there and both babies are doing great weighing in at 3lbs. My doctor considered having me stay for the duration of my pregnancy but thankfully he let me go home on Friday. I have to continue to take a medication called Nifedipine to keep my contractions at bay. It makes me lightheaded, flushed, and anxious but I will do anything to keep my babies from making an early debut.

With vasa previa a regular birth is out of the question so I will be having a C-section at 36 weeks. I know it is only five weeks away, but right now it feels like months! I think it would be easier if I could use the time to "nest" and get everything ready for their arrival but being on bed rest makes this difficult. I know what you're thinking… a forced vacation laying around at home sounds glorious but after a couple days it gets old. I much rather be at home than in the hospital so I'm not going to complain too much. I am so grateful to our families and neighbors who have brought us meals and visited. All the service has made me want to do more...once I can! I am also so grateful to my wonderful husband Joel. He is such an amazing man and takes such good care of me!

We feel so blessed to be starting a family. I am so excited but nervous too. I worry about everything…will my babies be premature, will they be in the NICU for months, how will I be able to take care of two, how will recovery from a C-section be, will I be a good Mom, will my stomach be able to stretch any farther?…etc. etc. I'm sure most new Moms experience this sort of trepidation so for now I need to stay away from Google, appreciate the down time, and enjoy it being just me and my husband because before I know it I will be embarking on one of the hardest and most rewarding journeys.

I am going to try and update each week until the big day…it will give me something to do!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Oh Mikaela! Thanks for sharing how you are doing. I'm so glad to hear the babies are ok. Sorry you have to be on bed rest and don't feel good. I will be praying for you guys. Can't wait to see pictures. You will be an AWESOME mommy. Luvs, Kendra